'a serving community; aspiring to follow Jesus; for the good of the world'
The Bells at All Saints' Church
Thomas Francis Blackwell presented a peal of six bells to All Saints' in the 1890s. These bells were cast at the Whitechapel bell-foundry and, although they do not have names, each of these has a verse from Psalm 150 cast into the inscription band near the top of the bell.
Little is known about the ringing before the 1920s. By the early 1930s the bells were physically difficult to ring, caused by a combination of a deteriorating wooden bell-frame and considerable tower movement.
In 1935 a successful case was made to the PCC for rehanging the bells, slightly lower in the tower, in a new frame sufficiently large to accommodate two additional bells.
The first peal on the eight bells (Grandshire Triples) was rung on 17th September 1935. The time taken for a full peal at All Saints' is usually about two hours and fifty minutes. A record peal of 10,080 changes of Spliced Surprise Major was rung in 1970.
1st 3 cwt 0 qtr 1 lb
2nd 3 cwt 1 qtr 6 lb
3rd 3 cwt 3 qtr 4 lb
4th 4 cwt 0 qtr 22 lb 'Praise Him in His mighty acts'
5th 4 cwt 2 qtr 24 lb 'Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet'
6th 5 cwt 0 qtr 7 lb 'Praise Him with stringed instruments and organs'
7th 6 cwt 2 qtr 26 lb 'Praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals'
8th 7 cwt 3 qtr 3 lb 'Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord'
Visit Bell Ringing in London for other events and occasions related to bell ringing in the city of London