Friends of All Saints’
“For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it.” Luke14: 2
What is All Saints’?
It is the Anglican parish church of Harrow Weald, and it lies on the north side of the Uxbridge Road about half way between Hatch End and Stanmore, within a rural churchyard.
The church is a Grade11* Listed Building. It was designed in 1849 by the prominent Victorian church architect William Butterfield, and extended by the same architect in 1890.
The windows: the church contains a major series of 19th and 20th century stained glass windows, including one designed by Burne-Jones and made by the Morris factory, and another by Whitefriars.
The mosaic work: designed by Butterfield for the 1890 work and carried out by Italian craftsmen.
The Madonna with Children: statue by Josephine Banner, a distinguished 20th century sculptress.
Harrow Nature Conservation Forum includes the churchyard (which is closed to burials) in their list of local nature reserves and it is managed with wildlife in mind. In spring it is alive with primroses, violets and other wild flowers. There are many memorials, the oldest dating to 1847. Some are of historic importance.
The Lych gate
The gate at the entrance to the churchyard, by the Uxbridge Road, was erected in 1860 in memory of the first vicar, Edward Monro.
How can you help?
This lovely building which is in active use, and its churchyard, need funds to help look after them and conserve them for future generations. You can help by joining the Friends of All Saints’. We send a regular newsletter to keep Friends up to date on progress and to give information on fund-raising events.
Objects of the ‘Friends’
Our purpose is to support the church in the maintenance, restoration, development and adornment of the church building and the management of the churchyard in environmentally friendly ways.
It is intended to do this by raising funds by subscriptions, gifts and legacies, and by organising a programme of non-denominational social, educational and artistic events.
It is hoped that this will benefit local residents and others who use the church for services, school parties who make educational visits, those who attend the cultural events, and those who visit the churchyard.
Membership of the Friends of All Saints’ is open to all who are interested in furthering these objects, whether church members or not.
The Friends of All Saints’ aim to raise money to present the church with small useful gifts, as well as contributing financially to larger projects within the church and churchyard as and when they occur and as funds allow.
The memorial book and display case was presented to the church in July 2008. The money raised by inscriptions recorded in the book goes to the church project fund. In its first year the book has raised over one thousand pounds for the church and has proved to be a gift that in addition to raising funds has provided comfort to those who have had the names of their loved ones inscribed in it. The pages are turned each day and the names recorded on the current page are prayed for at Morning Prayer.
The oak literature rack is also a gift from ‘Friends’ and was presented to the church on Easter Day 2009. It was provided to display a new series of information leaflets about the church.
Click here to view a Power Point presentation outlining plans to restore the Butterfield mosaics in the Chancel.